total legal

Legal Name Change
Complete your legal name change forms online quickly. You can change your first, middle and/or last name in a name change proceeding. You can also change the name of your minor child.

TotalLegal makes it easy to legally change your name without a lawyer. Just answer a few simple questions, then receive all the required forms and step-by-step instructions to file and complete a name change yourself.
1 Step One answer questions
Complete the online interview.
2 Step Two print
Print your custom name change forms yourself or receive them by mail.
3 Step Three sign and file
Follow the state-specific  procedures for completing your legal name change.
Where are name changes usually filed?
Can I use TotalLegal to change a child's name?
What is included?
What do I do after I receive my documents?

Your privacy is 100% confidential.

How to change your legal name

You must go through the courts to legally change your name or a child's name. With marriage or divorce it is straightforward for a name change to be included with either the marriage certificate or the divorce decree. Outside of marriage or divorce you will need to complete a name change with your county court system by doing the following:

  1. Complete the required state forms (in most states the main form is a Petition for Name Change).
  2. File the Petition with your court clerk and pay the court filing fee.
  3. Attend a hearing where a judge finalizes your name change.

Your state may require additional steps such as publishing a notice in a local newspapers about your change of name or possibly getting fingerprinted. With TotalLegal you receive all of the state forms you need to complete your name change along with detailed filing instructions.

Common reasons for changing your legal name

  • Personal Choice.  You may simply not like your name or may want a name that is more easily spelled or pronounced. With TotalLegal, you can change your last name, first name and/or middle name.
  • Change a Child's Name.  The absence of a parent in a child's life, changes in parental rights/custody, and paternity determinations are among the most common reasons to change a child's name.
  • Share a Last Name.  Couples may want to create a hyphenated or entirely new last name for themselves.
  • Divorce.  If you took your spouse's last name upon marriage, you may want to resume a former name if you separate or divorce. In most states, it is easy to include a name change in your Divorce Decree.

Fraud and Name Changes.  The court will not grant a name change that is requested for a fraudulent or illegal purpose such as evading criminal prosecution or a civil lawsuit, avoiding creditors, or identity theft.

TotalLegal™ has helped over 1 million people nationwide make essential documents themselves.

100% guarantee
© 2021 Pro Se Planning, Inc. All rights reserved. Home | Terms of Use | Privacy | Contact | Help Center™ is a leading self-help legal document web site.  However, this
site does not provide legal advice and use of this site is not a substitute
for hiring an attorney licensed to practice in your state.