California LLC Formation
If you want to form a business entity that earns a profit, but limits taxes and personal liability, you may want to consider forming a Limited Liability Company (LLC). LLCs also have the same powers afforded to a corporation. Forming an LLC in California is easy, fast, and affordable.
|California LLC Costs|
|California Filing Fee||$70|
Naming the LLC
- The LLC name must include: LLC, L.L.C., Limited Liability Company.
- The LLC name may not include: bank, trust, trustee, incorporated, inc., corporation, or corp.
- The LLC name may not include: insurer, insurance company, or any other words suggesting that the LLC is in the business of issuing policies of insurance and assuming insurance risks.
- The name is not likely to mislead the public and is distinguishable from other LLCs of record or reserved with the California Secretary of State.
You will need to provide the name of your LLC, the business address for the LLC, the Registered AgentÕs name and physical address, and the name of the organizer (the person forming the LLC).
Steps to Forming a California LLC
- Complete the TotalLegal online interview.
- TotalLegal performs an LLC name availability search.
- TotalLegal will file your LLC with the California Secretary of State.
When approved, TotalLegal will upload your Articles of Organization to your account, and send you an email letting you know you are approved to do business in California.
California LLC Advantages
- California LLCs are usually approved in 7-10 days.
Maintaining a California LLC
ItÕs not hard at all. Each California LLC is required to file a Statement of Information that is due within 90 days after the LLC is approved, and then every two years after. The filing fee for the Statement of Information is only $20. The Statement of Information can be filed online.
Making Changes to Your LLC
Making changes to your LLC in California is pretty inexpensive compared to other states. Most changes you need to amend your LLC and/or change your Registered Agent can be done for $30 or less, and all forms are available for download online.
Why use TotalLegal?
TotalLegal provides your LLC with a free Operating Agreement. Since your approved LLC's Articles of Organization do not list the owners (members) of the LLC, having all of this information in your Operating Agreement will make opening a bank account for your LLC in California very easy.